I know for me personally, as well as many people, the last thing they want to think about or see is fat. I always find myself asking when I get a new outfit or am working out, "do I look fat?" to my friends and family, asking for approval and the "no" I want to so desperately hear. Sadly, I also know that I am not the only culprit of this. My friends ask me the same question, demanding the same answer. And this isn't our fault, the media has proposed this supposed "perfect" body that everyone must have, and if they do not, they are claimed fat.
You see all these magazines that either you or your parents read: Cooking Light, Self, Health, and Women's Health. All of these magazines tend to give you simple exercises that should improve your health. And on the cover of at least Self, Health and Women's Health are women who are infinitely skinnier than you and make you think that should you do these exercises, this will be your finishing result. This isn't necessarily true. People have different bodies, and therefore will all end differently. These are simply to sell the magazine and make a profit. The body image angle is what sells magazines, and its what women are frequently worrying about: their bottom lines. Is it true that you should work out as the doctor recommends? Yes, it is. But should you be working out so much simply to look like someone on the cover of a magazine or so you see no fat on your body at all? Absolutely not. Everyone should want to take care of themselves, but not to the extent that they feel like they should be working out for hours on end to loose every calorie that they are taking in. That is simply unhealthy.
Another example of obesity that has claimed a lot of the media's attention is the children's book, "Maggie goes on a Diet". I understand why most people are upset over this obviously controversial book, even simply from the title. Most parents don't want their kids worrying about their weight, but I must ask a questions to parents out there, Do you think that kids don't watch your every move all day, worrying about your weight, working out excessively? They are smarter than we give them credit for, and are worrying about this issue as soon as they have interactions with other kids. But most people don't see the positives this book gives. It's about a young girl who has a poor diet and decides that she must take control and change her own life. And in the end, she succeeds and scores a goal in soccer. It shows kids that they can control their own destinies and their own situations, if the right steps are taken. Kids must have a positive role model, and "Maggie" can provide this to many kids.
Another topic I have come across very frequently in my research is parents, and the role they play obesity. Often times you see the types of kids reflect the parenting style. Many kids become obese simply from the pressure they are under from their parents. There are parents who are so demanding that the kids turn to something to cope: whether it's food, drugs, alcohol, or sports. Most times it's because parents think they are helping their kids, but they are simply making it harder for them, pure and simple. The parents must find a way to help their kids without feeling the need to interject themselves in their lives so much so that the kids find it unbearable. Kids see obesity everywhere, and its important that parents set the right ideas in their heads. "Diets" are wrong all together, and the kids should want to make health life choices. Making sure that kids eat a balanced diet, and have plenty of exercise, and they should be fine. Also, a parent must be involved, and make sure if their child is going through a tough time that the child has a healthy outlet to vent, and that is not through food. Good life decisions can affect these kids for the rest of their lives, and it all starts at home.
TIME Healthland
Greetings
Hi All,
I thought I should take the time to introduce what exactly this blog is intended to be about. This is my project for a class known as Inquiry, Purpose and Global Citizenship. For our projects, my class and I are to choose a topic of interest to us and teach others about it in some way, shape or form. My topic in particular is about nutrition, as it applies to obesity and how education is becoming more and more lax about the subject. I will be posting what I find here on my blog.
No comments:
Post a Comment