I know I have mentioned a lot of key facts in these posts, so I felt the need to sum up all my notes that can help again, for everyone involved. A "Conclusion", if you will. These are life lessons that everyone should have kids all the way through adults and grandparents. People need to know how crucial it is to take care of oneself, and that starts with laying off fast food and junk food. It can be a treat, but not a habit. Should junk food become a habit, this begins the downward spiral of no return.
The first tip I have is for each family is to create a good environment in your home, filled with food that's good for you balanced with some treats. Kids must know to make the right choices, and that lesson begins in your own home. This was how my house was growing up and still is, and has helped show me the right choices next to the wrong ones. I also believe that being upfront with your kids is the best policy. They should know what the consequences will be should they eat poorly. Not so much so that it is hanging over their heads, but enough so they are inclined to choose correctly.
My second tip would be to have a happy home. I know this isn't always achievable, but many things affect a child's health other than simply eating habits. I child must have a routine schedule, including sleep schedule, well rounded meals, exercise, and two parents who are there for them. This all adds up just as much as their sugar intake, and should these be inefficient, their health can prove poorly and be just as much of a negative affect as ignoring their fruits an vegetables. Also, the parent needs to be a good role model. Kids model parents, and will eat properly if you do.
The third tip would be from a young age, teach kids which foods are which. Cover all the major food groups, which they should know just as easily as their times tables. I remember growing up with onions, bananas and apples being on the counter in baskets, and I would soak it up as my mom would tell me each of their names. When you're a kid, you want to just learn everything. Take advantage of this and use it to get in their minds early so you don't have to fight them on this later.
My fourth and final tip for parents is simply be active in your child's life, health and otherwise. Know what you're child is learning, eating, and control the things you can control. Make your home a safe one, with healthy choices. Also, listen to your doctor. If the doctor says he or she is worried about your child, make good steps to curb the problem and be your child's advocate. Also, make sure you fight your school against junk food, especially for elementary school children. They are too young to make important decisions such as these on their own, and should be given good options in schools. Be aware of what is happening, and if you disapprove, pack your own child's lunch. That way, you know what your child is being fed. Be proactive, rather than reactive.
TIME Healthland
Greetings
Hi All,
I thought I should take the time to introduce what exactly this blog is intended to be about. This is my project for a class known as Inquiry, Purpose and Global Citizenship. For our projects, my class and I are to choose a topic of interest to us and teach others about it in some way, shape or form. My topic in particular is about nutrition, as it applies to obesity and how education is becoming more and more lax about the subject. I will be posting what I find here on my blog.
No comments:
Post a Comment